Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Day 2 - the first opponents leaflet

Another long day on the campaign trail.

Finishing off newspapers in St. Mark’s and now preparing for the next leaflet and targeted letter.

My wife was out doing some delivery this morning as well.

My opponents first piece of literature has surfaced. Seems determined to fight this as being a close race which is of course fine by me. Also very curious that he refers to me as “Michael Howard’s Conservative”, which of course I am, and very proud of it. Considering the most recent polls show that Charles Kennedy comes a very poor third when people are asked who would make a better Prime Minister I am quite happy for them to keep repeating it. Maybe I should start referring to my opponent as Blair's Lib Dem as it is clear that if you vote Lib Dem you are going to get Blair again!

Funny thing – I thought the Lib Dem Colour was yellow, so why has their leaflet become Robert Kilroy-Silk perma tan orange?

Met a couple of pensioners very keen for our Council Tax policy and the rebate for pensioner households. Also a young couple distinctly unimpressed by the Lib Dem local income tax policy. I think what my opponent had to say in The Independent a few months back was what most alarmed them.

"Double income households earning the "early £40,000s" and single income
households with earnings in the "late £30,000s" were likely to be hit, he said'
(The Independent, 1 April 2005)


The fact a couple earning just over £20,000 each will pay more is alarming. By our figures, based on current Kingston Council Tax rates, they would pay 5% on the basic rate. Trouble is that the Lib Dems will not admit how much it would cost for Kingston households.

6 comments:

Kevin Davis said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Kevin Davis said...

This site was established to give my views on the days events and give a flavour of what in the news I thought had been interesting. People may comment on those pieces of newsas they fit and as I have done.

However, I have been reminded that the issues you are attempting to discuss are subject to legal processes and are therefore not suitable for discussion on an open forum. Neither are they in any way related to me, policy or news. If you have comments you wish to submit then they will have to be directed to the Chairman of the Association.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Oh dear Mr. Davis, it appears you do have something to hide about the Tories in Kingston.

No wonder you keep deleting my posts.

Anonymous said...

Mr Sanderson really needs to start trying to get his facts right.
I understand that the block membership application for the 'excluded' members to whom he refers was submitted one week before the AGM. If any of these were new applications, they would not be entitled to vote for 3 months. If they were members whose membership had lapsed within the last 3 months, they would have to wait a further 3 months to regain their voting rights. If they were existing members whose membership had not lapsed more than 3 months ago, they were perfectly entitled to attend and vote at the AGM. So nobody was excluded from anything. This was just a case of certain vindictive individuals playing games!

Anonymous said...

So, Mr Sanderson, do you always believe what is reported in the newspapers?

There are certainly not 90,000 electors in K&S, although as promotion of the meeting had mostly been limited to areas around the Assembly Rooms you could hardly expect such numbers to turn up to a meeting of which they weren't aware!

Debates between the candidates are usually organised by other bodies such as churches, Friends of the Earth, the Univeristy and the like. I understand there are likely to be a number of such opportunities if Mr Davey doesn't back out of them again!